Dr. Kelso Morris (j. 2/1962; d. 1982) joined All Souls with his wife Marlene. He was active in church and civic activities. He was a professor and former chairman of the Chemistry Department at Howard University from 1956 to 1969.
He earned master’s and doctoral degrees in chemistry at Cornell University in 1937 and 1940, and taught at Wiley College in Marshall, Texas, before coming to Howard.
He was the author of three books and numerous articles that appeared in professional journals. A 2008 Howard University article celebrating the 50th anniversary of Howard’s PhD program (1958-2008) estimated that Morris taught more than 10,000 students.
Dr. Morris was a past secretary of the Washington Academy of Science, a past president of the DC Institute of Chemists, and also served as a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Institute of Chemists, and the American Chemical Society, as well as of other professional groups.