Shively Rapid Cycle Grants
The Beckner Advancement Fund’s Shively Rapid Cycle grants are quick-turnaround, small grants of up to $1,000 to eligible groups who are facing immediate and unforeseen political or policy challenges, addressing emergent and unforeseen community needs, or leveraging timely opportunities to address acute organizational capacity-building challenges. Our Rapid Cycle grants are our most nimble way to fund initiatives and support staff that might otherwise not have access to resources because they are too new, too small, or too urgent. Grants funds will be made available to 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations (including organizations with a nonprofit fiscal sponsor) and All Souls Unitarian social justice ministry groups.
Examples of work that can be funded by Shively grant funds includes but is not limited to:
- Urgent community organizing or direct action costs, including associated transportation
- Leadership trainings, conferences, discrete consulting projects, and other professional development activities
- Conflict mediation/resolution
- Healing and healing justice work
Generally, Shively Rapid Cycle grants can NOT be used for:
- Budget shortfalls
- Planned or ongoing projects/activities/service delivery programs
- Previously planned or long-term campaigns
- Start-up or general operating costs
- Capital campaigns
Grant Size and Duration
- One-time grants up to $1,000 for urgent and time-bound (up to 6 months in duration) projects/actions, discrete professional development, or capacity-building opportunities.
- The project or professional development opportunity must be completed within six months of receiving the grant.
After reviewing our web pages and becoming familiar with our work, your next step in the application process is to complete the application below. The Beckner Advancement Committee may request additional documentation and information, phone conversations, or in-person meetings during the application review process.
Eligibility & Application Requirements
- Due to limited resources, the Beckner Advancement Fund will prioritize members of All Souls Church’s social justice ministries and current or former Beckner Advancement Fund grantees within the last five years.
- Your organization must be responding to an unanticipated catalyzing event or urgent external challenge.
- We prioritize projects that actively engage/support impacted communities including but not limited to: people of color; indigenous peoples; immigrants; low-income people; women; youth; queer, trans, and gender non-conforming people; and people with disabilities.
- Organizations must have an IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt status or be a fiscally sponsored project of another nonprofit entity. The Fund cannot make grants directly to individuals.
- Proposals will be reviewed on a monthly rolling basis until the allotted amount is spent for the fund’s fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). There are no specific deadlines for submitting an application, however we will stop receiving applications after the year’s allotment of funds for this purpose has been spent. We will communicate via our website once there are no longer funds available for these Shively Rapid Cycle grants.
- Award notifications will be made within two weeks of receipt of your application. Grant funds will be distributed between 2-3 weeks of award notification.
- Groups may not receive Shively grants more than once within a 12-month period.
- Grant awards are non-renewable and may be requested only through submission of a proposal that will be subject to full review by the Beckner Advancement Fund Committee.
Please contact Ruth Goins, Beckner Advancement Fund Program Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).