Bass Section Leader, All Souls Choir
All Souls Church Unitarian is a diverse, spirit-growing, justice-seeking liberal religious community. Our 60+ voice All Souls Choir was founded over 50 years ago as one of the first multiracial choirs in Washington, DC. We seek a Section Leader to support and coach the bass and baritone singers in the choir. The Section Leader reports to the Director of Music and Arts.
- Attend all scheduled rehearsals of All Souls Choir during the normal choir year (Thursdays, 7:30-9:30, from mid-August through the spring, usually ending on the third Sunday in June).
- Attend all Sunday worship services at which the All Souls Choir sings, and any other special concerts or church events at which the Choir performs.
- Sing solos in worship/performance as requested by the Director.
- Excellent musicianship, including fluency in reading music and good sense of pitch, tone, and blend. Understanding of vocal technique/production and ability to teach it to others. Piano skills are helpful, but not required.
- Strong sense of musical leadership, including giving volunteer singers a strong sense of musical security, being the first in the section to know music well, and leading sectional rehearsals when the Director requires;
- General group leadership in behavior, attendance, and punctuality at rehearsals and performances.
- Comfort in a variety of musical styles, including but not limited to classical (including 21st c. classical), world music, gospel, spirituals, and pop music. Candidates may demonstrate strength in a particular genre, but should have willingness, flexibility, and curiosity to learn about and perform in other genres.
- The Director will conduct a performance review of the Section Leader at the end of the season with input from the appropriate Choir members and officers.
- Important evaluation factors will include musical initiative, singer’s vocal leadership of his section, and general attitude and spirit of helpfulness, including punctuality and attendance.
- Employment as a Section Leader is at-will, and depends on, among other factors, performance reviews and availability of funding.
Compensation is on a “per-call” basis. During the choir year, the Section Leader will typically have 8 to 10 calls per month at $75/call.
Interested applicants should send inquiries to Director of Music and Arts, Jen Hayman, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position must be filled by August 15, 2017.